As we look back on 2018, we’re delighted to see the amount of progress and milestones that have taken place at TXRX Labs. From youth programs to an ever expanding makerspace awareness, 2018 has been a fantastic year of making. In order to share the great things which have taken place, we’ve compiled a list (in no particular order) of our 2018 Maker Milestones:
1. 6% increase in membership. More Houstonians making!!!
2. Launched the only nonprofit United Way THRIVE funded Machining Apprenticeship Program
3. TXRX has scaled staff to include mechanical engineers, electrical engineer, rapid fabrication technician, 6G pipe certified welder, two RISD alumni shop managers in ceramics and the woodshop.
4. The first ever Maker to Market student showcase sharing students’ artifacts from the semester long expedition (ceramics, jewelry, welding, woodworking, leather working) of making. The students collectively spent 1500 hours learning maker skills at TXRX.
5. We executed the only Harry Potter themed maker day in the world at TXRX!
6. Expanded youth education programs through the use of AmeriCorps VISTA to build capacity and community outside of TXRX.
7. 75% increase in corporate ideation contracts that resulted in five new product developments.
8. Created an air quality monitor to keep tabs on pollution in the East End.
9. Hosted our first welding bachelor party and a handful of other private events. Book your party with us!
We’re extremely proud of these achievements, but even more so when considering the fact that none of this is possible without the community. Craft enthusiasts, philanthropists, youth with artistic talents, and entrepreneurial studio space renters are just a few examples of the type of people who embody the makerspace experience; and who’ll continue to be apart of a mission geared towards innovation, education, and collaboration.
We wish you all a Happy New Year, and can’t wait to share with you what we have planned for 2019!